Saturday, November 20, 2010

It's My Decision

We are 'thrown' into the world. It is not of our own choosing, Heidegger says; and I agree. It's the only thing that's ever been 'forced' unto us. Think about it: we have a choice in every single one of our actions. McDonald's or KFC? Coke or Pepsi? The underlying implication here is that choice has always been ours, in the ways we think, act and speak. You chose clothes to wear today, although it might have been for school or business attire that creates a facade of professionalism, and you chose what things you need to face another day.
So, now we move onto freedom of choice. It is like a double-edged sword; hey! look at me! I can do whatever the fuck I want! Haha; but I also know I shouldn't do this or that because someone will get hurt and because society says so. But just because society deems it so, does not make it universal. With all this freedom at our disposal, it's more like a burden, isn't it? Sartre viewed it this was because he was living under German-occupied France; choose one side, the other side or suicide; you have no right to say that the Germans or French nationalists made you do it - it was never their choice: freedom is a heavy weight.





...

It's funny though, an idea like freedom isn't a burden until you start to realise it is not measured in pounds or kilos.


No comments:

Post a Comment