Thursday, November 18, 2010

Never Cave In

Meanings cannot be directly interacted with, so argues Derrida. Signifiers always defer meaning or ideas, in the purest sense.
So what's the point of it all? Well, here I am trying to explain, as a middle-ground, the concept of 'différance'. But it is this middle-ground Derrida places différance. Can't we just make meanings as we go along in life or do we have to stick to the rigid constructs of society? Touché, Joker.
"They're only as good as the world allows them to be." The Dark Knight (2008)

In this blog I will try and represent different perspectives of concepts, because meanings have never been set in stone. In the end, these are just going to be my interpretations.




The idea of being an existentialist:
The scenario is a psychiatrist waiting for their patient. The psychiatrist is reading one of the books on the shelf, that was just meant to be for decoration. But whatta-you-know, it's actually useful in this case.
There's a knock at the door, the book is put down on the desk. The patient is here.

...

Patient: Look, I just think I don't fit in as well. That's why I have these problems. I'm small, insignificant. If I were to die tomorrow nobody would give a damn.
Psychiatrist: That's just being overly pessimistic. Focus on the good things you have. You have your health, you're not living in poverty and as much as you don't like your job, it's paying a lot more than the average wage earner.
Patient: Yeah, so what? What does it matter? I'm not important.
Psychiatrist: So you say. But being small doesn't equate to being insignificant. Life, as we know it, is fragile and ephemeral. But it doesn't make it any less meaningful, unimportant or insignificant.
Patient: ...I guess.
Psychiatrist: OK, let's try some mind-over-matter. As an exercise, I want you to repeat to yourself three times a day, for at least a minute "I am small, but significant and I will never cave in."

...

The patient gently closes the door and the psychiatrist breathes deeply a few times.
The book is picked up and placed back into its niche. Only two more patients to go, thinks the psychiatrist. It's been so long, the habit has been accustomed to the psychiatrist's breath, and it's repeated for over a minute, closer to two.
"I am small, but significant and I will never cave in."

No comments:

Post a Comment