Friday, November 18, 2011

Sheffield & London

On the bus, making my way up to Sheffield, I realised that the English are on the imperial system of units and measurements. I tried calculating how long 400 yards are but I'm so used to metric that I gave up and just went to sleep. I met up with my aunty and uncle during dusk...at 9PM. Northern countries get the sun longer during summer, however, the temperature doesn't really go above 16 degrees (Celsius).

HIGHLIGHTS: Seeing my aunty & uncle, Sheffield girls and my London walking route.

Again, these relatives of mine haven't seen me in over 20 years. They knew of me but this was the first time they've ever SEEN me. It was weird at first, but talking about the old country we realised all the things we had in common. And my uncle is the first relative I've met that's been in a legit war and lived. He had several of those old vintage-sepia photos and I could see the excitement all over his face the first time he had ever put on his uniform.



Sheffield girls are fit.


My London walking route was based off of Alan Moore's From Hell. I calculated and triangulated the route using Google Maps which DIDN'T infom me of the dozens of construction sites for the London Underground and an overall redevelopment of specific sections London. Moore said it's frustrating if one does the route by car due to one way roads and that it would take a day (I assumed 4-7 hours) to walk. I walked for about 5 and only reached a third of the destinations. The best part of the route was probably the garden in the middle of the city that I didn't expect to find. During WWII parts of London got bombed and this one church only had one facade that withstood the blasts, but someone had the idea of turning the insides, where the alter and pews used to be, into a garden. In the between the busy business people and other professionals there lies a tranquil garden in London, it's good to know that there's a chilled out place like that there.


No comments:

Post a Comment